Wednesday, November 11, 2009

~WATCH THE FLOOR LAMPS ON CARPET...~

Many years ago when the Grands were tiny..I wandered into a lovely old building with a huge three inch thick oval door (beautiful!) that sold antiques and came upon this lamp. The cord was wrapped in silk and it was lovely. Not having enough money to purchase it..I reluctanly put it on layaway, which was popular in those days. I hated layaway, but I was desperate to have this lovely lamp. It is a floor lamp...and had been redone to perfection.

The shade was exquisite and etched with tiny roses of pale pinks. finally it was paid for and I brought it home and gently placed it behind my favorite big easy chair. ON CARPET! In those days the little Grandchildren spent a lot of time with us and as toddlers will do, they wandered about exploring pulling this and pushing that.

One day our little Jeffy, now in his 30's, wandered over and pushed on the tall spindly floor lamp and to this day I see it falling...in slow motion! I made a mad dash across the room with my arms outstretched and watched as it crashed to the floor and exploded. Poor little Jeffy heard Grandma scream and dash and ran as fast his tiny little legs would go in the opposite direction terrified at the whole affair!

No matter! It could be replaced with a bit of ...searching. And I have searched....for 28 YEARS! Nothing I found looked right...or fit! I replaced the shade with one that was supposed to go in a ceiling lite fan..and this is it below!


:) not good, but it fit and did the job for all these years!


Saturday, determined to get out and see the world..and what a good thing it is that I did! Above is the lovely old shade I finally found!

We had found nothing so decided to go have some breakfast and suddenly there was another sign in front of a lovely old home. One I used to walk past every day! We stopped for one last look...and in an old cardboard box stuffed with newspapers..there it was!! My lamp shade! No..not like the one that had broken so many years ago...but one that was old..and looked like it would fit...and...it was ONLY $2.00. The woman was about my age and said she had had it for years and years. So..home it came...and LOOK! It fit!

I need to touch up the screws..get a couple of smaller ones...and touch up the cord that Howard replaced..but..IT FITS! AND I love it! Do you?? I hope so! :)




It is so nice to find something that just seems to fit...especially when it takes so many years! Now Jeffy (um..Jeff) is expecting his own first little son in December.. :) What fun they will have...but watch the floor lamps Jeffy and Leah! :)

Hugs to all...what a great life it is..each and every day a blessing right now!
I really do hope you like my new shade as much as I do!
Mona

23 comments:

  1. So glad you finally found something that fit the lamp! That can be a very trick and long search sometimes. It really looks nice, Mona!

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona your new shade is almost as beautiful as you. I'm so happy your found something that looked like it belongs even if it took 28 years. Sometimes the best things are worth waiting for.

    I'm still praying for complete healing for you. Have a terrific day enjoying God, family and your lovely floor lamp shade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I can't believe you held onto it all this time. You knew you'd find the right piece, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a shade like the one you just found. It is beautiful. Is it sort of like milk glass?? And the price. Meant to be, I'd say!
    Great story.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute story, although at first I thought you were going to write that the lamp fell on Jeffy. Thank goodness, it didn't.

    How nice that you found the shade you were looking for. I love it. And I love a happy ending!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty. Didn't it feel good to get out and shop?
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty shade, it looks like it was made for your lamp! I wouldn't have had the patience to look for a shade that long...I am so impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  8. O, I think this shade was MADE for your very lamp. It looks stunning!
    I am so glad you are feeling better each day. You are so precious and I want you to enjoy your life feeling wonderful. I feel great, most days. Some days, of course, for an almost 72 yr. old, I want nothing more than to just sit, watch tv or read...Then, the next day, I burn a trail all over the place! :O)
    Happy day!
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh prettyness! Love the shade! Perfect -- enjoy your lamp and hope you're feeling better and stronger each day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful shade! I know it took 28 years to find, but it was worth it! Lovely.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just lovely---I'll bet it sat in that 1980's newspaper in that box, just wondering when Mona would get there. And it looks as if it would cast a pinkish glow, with the right bulbs.

    Do drop in tomorrow---it's my 300th post and my FIRST anniversary!!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patience always prevails. Glad to learn you are truly fine & getting back to yourself. You take care now ... TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to thank you so much for your sweet comments and compliments that you posted on my blog. You are such a dear, sweet person and I am looking forward to knowing you better.
    As I read through your blog and, (I plan to read more!) I see that you have been ill. I hope that you are doing better.
    You refer to your grandson as Jeffy. That's what I call my son Jeff, who is now 35 years old. I am not allowed to call him that in front of anyone, hee, hee.
    I also am amazed that you kept searching for a lampshade all that time. It's good that you didn't give up! It looks very pretty.
    Come and see me again. I'll be looking around your blog every chance I get.
    Hugs.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only 28 years :-) :-) I´m so happy for You! It looks so fine!
    Have a great day now!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mona, your lamp is lovely!!!! So very special and I loved your story.

    Sending love, prayers, and blessings to you!

    Barb ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad your CT scan came back negative!! And, I do love the new (old) lampshade. It looks perfect! Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! You DO have an eye for all the cool stuff. I wish I lived closer so you could be my decorator. I can use all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  18. PS. Yard sale tomorrow. I'll be looking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, this story reminds me of a long standing arguement in our family. My cousin and I were spinning around and around ( we were like 8 or so) and knocked over my aunts lamp and the shade broke. We both blamed one another..in
    good fun but it always comes up we felt horrible about it. Glad you found your shade.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Mona that shade is beautiful!
    I just purchased a new light for above the kitchen sink and it has a shade similar to that on it...it looks old fashion!
    I am so glad you found the perfect shade!
    Smiles
    Dolly

    P.S. love your blog...come visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of thanks for sharing your blog with us, I read your blog which is really nice. The design of the floor lamp is really good which looks like a flower. Keep updating.
    buy wall sticker online | buy floor lamps online

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts! Your comments are very important to me.