Wednesday, July 29, 2015

~I SAW WHAT YOU DID....

I thought I would share a short story with you.  I am still shaking my head over this one.
Some neighbors across the street and down one house have moved, and they have been coming back daily, painting, new floors, landscaping etc.  readying the home for sale.  It's been so hot and it has not been pleasant for them.

In the evening we sit out on the porch when it isn't too hot and enjoy just chatting.  Often the woman across the street and her ten year old little girl, join me.  
The man who owns the home in question and his son, had worked another full day and gone home.  
Suddenly the neighbor woman on the far side of the empty home came waddling over and appeared to be curious as what was happening to the house, which is what happens when a long time neighbor moves away.
As we watched (it's dark on our porch, very shady and we are not visible from the sidewalk, let alone from across the street) she crossed her yard into theirs and dug around in  a cardboard box sitting on the porch, pulling out plastic sheeting which she started to take to her yard but instead glanced around, stepped up onto their porch again and  walked off with a large shovel.  One of those scoop shovels which was leaning against the wall.  She examined it a moment, looked up and down the street again and proceeded to take it to her house and through the gate into her back yard!

We decided that perhaps I should call the people who own the home to let them know, just in case it was something that was important to them, and tell them where it was.  I felt funny doing it, like a nosy neighbor...but they had given me their number just in case.   I thought it might not be anything important OR they had given it to her OR she took it to save for them..or whatever.
When I called they said they had not given her their shovel..so today they asked her if she had it.  I rather thought she would tell them she was afraid someone would steal it, but no.  When asked about the shovel, she denied ever having seen it.  THREE of us saw her take it into her back yard.  She plain lied to the man's face.  He didn't argue with her or tell her who told him.  He just said he had perhaps been given false information.  

This woman that took the shovel and her family are not the most desirable neighbors...but they have not bothered me.  .
I guess the thing is, I just cannot believe a neighbor would take ..no, STEAL, from their next door neighbors they had known for  years...long before I ever came to live here.
I wanted to march  right up to her door
 and tell her we SAW her take the darned shovel!!!   


I wanted to go right then tell her that three of us saw her take that shovel..but the man said   "I just want to finish and leave.  Let her have it and I don't want to leave knowing you may have problems later because of it.  
I suppose he was right.  But still.  
If one will steal, one will do anything.
Perhaps he is right to let it go.  She must be very sad indeed to do such a thing.

What makes people do things like that!  I know it goes on..but to watch it happen right in your neighborhood is upsetting.  
Would you have confronted the woman?  I wanted to.  I still want to, but he may be right.
What would you do?

****************

This was longer than I wanted it to be..sorry. :)
Love,
Mona 




25 comments:

  1. let it go, the neighbor is right. you don't want trouble but at least now you know what that neighbor is capable of and you can keep an eye on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What goes around comes around - Your thief of a neighbour will get it back one day. Best to stay out of their way, them being troublesome and all and also an eye opener to you folks and the rest of the neighbourhood. My Mom would always said once a thief, always a thief. Perhaps she has done this before and you 3 just happened to catch her. The trouble she might bring you might be worse than you think, so you know not to leave things out in the yard that are easily carried away. It's a behavior that mostly never corrects itself - probably always been doing it - you just happened to be watching and perhaps she has never been caught ......until now. Perhaps she will think twice before stealing in the neighbourhood knowing someone saw her? Have a wonderful day dear Mona and your Maine Man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the other comments. stirring a pot that can't be unstirred might cause future problems for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that it isn't her that is moving! She should be ashamed and perhaps will return the shovel in the night! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Troubling to know that you have a thief in the neighborhood. Some people take videos of such behavior as proof if ever needed. Your moving neighbor is a wise man and I bet he is glad to be going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my,,,, what some people will do,,,,I agree with Vee,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry ladies I disagree with the let it go opinion. That is excusing bad behavior and in my opinion perpetuates it. There are ways of confronting this issue without doing it in person. Simply write a letter letting this less than desirable neighbor know that her actions have not gone unnoticed and are not appreciated by her fellow neighbors. You don't have to sign it and can just mail it.
    This way she will know that she is being watched and at the least it will slow down her thieving excursions.
    So good to hear from you Mona.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mona, No honey, please...the moving neighbor is so right...afterwards the thief could make may crazy trouble for you...But I'd be damn if she'd get a Christmas card from me. LOL. Now you know for a fact, you can not trust that lady...so never leave anything out that she can take. Same goes for the neighbor who witnessed with you., she should also be careful. I truly dislike thieves. Nothing makes me madder. It was an insult to injury when she lied about it too. So she is a thief and liar. Not to be trusted. Don't ever ask her to watch your house while you are away. My neighbors here and I watch over each other's properties if any of us is gone from home . I trust them so much. Take care, sorry this has happened. Blessings to you and yours. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mona I agree with the comments. I hate a thief and a liar. You keep your guard up and be careful. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  10. He was kind to you. He knows she lied to him. But he is leaving. You have to stay where you are.

    If he pressed the matter, and let on, how he knew, he may well have put you in some sort of danger.... Later. If these neighbors are already not too great, and she would simply steal like that... I would not want to have anything to do with her.

    Don't confront her! Even if you want to! I would want to toooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    You did what you could. Told the owner. Any more, and you may well be putting yourself in, for future trouble.

    Hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I love your new Banner picture!!!! Your sweet little frog.

    And he has his gardening tools out too. How perfect, to go with the post!

    Hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, we never know why these things happen. You did well. They know who has the shovel and it may be best left alone, she will get her reward.

    I, too, like your header.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mona! Oh, my goodness, that was so wrong of the woman to take the shovel. But, if you confront her there could be trouble for you and your family! Just stay clear of her. We all have to face judgment one day and God will deal with her. Stealing is just wrong. Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I know that just made your blood boil, but I agree with others here that it is best just to let it go this time. At least you now know what kind of person that she is so that you can completely avoid all contact with her and you will be able to pretty much figure out what happened if anything of yours goes missing. I am glad I checked back here and found your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with all the others. If she had stolen something of yours, it would be different. But your moving neighbor made his choice and you should honor it. BUT... NEVER trust her again. You and the other two neighbors who saw her now know her for who she really is. She will get what's coming to her someday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a sad situation - for everyone concerned. I would be tempted to send that letter Sherry spoke of!

    ReplyDelete
  17. In this day and age you never know what folks will do so I think you should just let this go like your neighbor said and just be aware that you have a thief in the neighborhood. The folks selling the house probably don't want any trouble either since they are hoping to sell the place quickly and move on;...however, I feel bad for whoever buys that place because they have a thief living next door!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mona! I am so sorry that you witnessed this neighbor's blatant theft. It definitely puts you in a very difficult position. Ignoring such outrageous behavior seems to be a difficult thing to do. If I had seen a neighbor do such an awful thing, I too would have felt the need to do SOMETHING to let your neighborhood know that this person is a dishonest, lying thief who is not to be trusted under any circumstances. The fact that she denied taking the shovel, pretty much proves the woman has no conscience or morals. Nevertheless, as strongly as I can understand your outrage about this neighbor, I must say that ignoring the situation and moving on is probably the best thing to do. Anything else will only result in some further nasty, dishonest, and immoral action by the neighbor which will result in escalating the stress and tension that you are already feeling. And that only hurts you and does nothing to stop the woman's poor behavior. (My two cents worth......) Mel

    ReplyDelete
  19. howdy Mona.........oh gosh............what a weird thing to have happen and right in FRONT OF YOU and you saw the whole thing! Not sure what in the world I would do........keep quiet or what. Guess that would be the best and most peaceful thing to do.........but I would also be very cautious and alert with them in the neighborhood. You dont want to leave out anything they might just casually 'take'. Dang what nerve that woman has!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, first off...it's just so wonderful to have you back here! Consider yourself well and truly smother-hugged!!!!
    In respect of your story, it is not an easy situation...you certainly did the right thing telling the owner what had happened to his shovel and his decision to not pursue the matter any further with the woman, for the reasons he outlined, is equally appropriate.
    Your wanting to confront the woman directly is also perfectly admirable, and would naturally be the right thing to do, too. Part of the problem with our world as it is, is that no one wants to speak up for fear of intimidation, and that is certainly not right, because this makes it so easy for wrong-doers to get away with things. But, you do have to weigh up the risk to your own peace of mind and personal safety as well, and in this instance, since it was a shovel that was stolen, and not a murder that was committed, leaving it be, is most probably the better option.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would type up a note that says "I saw you steal the neighbor's shovel and take it into your backyard... SHAME ON YOU!". And I would mail it to her. What a rotten thing for her to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh. So sad and disappointing. But, people will do just about anything these days. Long gone are the days of honest people where you can count on their word. I'm glad you saw what happened, though. So you know what you are dealing with and to keep an eye out for your own property.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would think it best to forget it all but wouldn't leave anything out that you would hate to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mona, I read all the previous comments and suggestions. While I do agree with the majority who advised NOT to say anything to the thieving neighbor, it does rankle me that this person could not only steal but blatantly lie about having done so. I did like the suggestion of an anonymous letter to let her KNOW that others witnessed her actions and sign it anonymous neighbor 1, 2, 3. It would protect your collective identities and just might make the thief think again before stealing. I don't believe there's any hope the item would be returned.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Also wanted to add, how nice it was to find you posting, dear Mona.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts! Your comments are very important to me.