Friday, March 6, 2009

~IT'S NOT RAINING VIOLETS....OR ROSES~


Beatrix Potter, have you ever seen the opening scene in one of her stories? She leaves home, and her little cottage is a delight in itself. An overgrown entry, with a thick oval wooden door. She goes out with her easel to paint on a beautiful grassy hillside and gets caught in a Spring rain and rushes home with her collie dog to a cup of hot tea and a cozy fire to write of the adventures of her woodland friends. Peter rabbit, the real one, is her desk top companion. A simple life at it's most beautiful.

A little lamb is a sure sign of Springtime. Only two more weeks. I wonder if it is too late for bulbs? Probably.
I need to get out and start digging in the dirt..and soon. I have held myself back from hitting Home Depot for plant and flowers but it is getting harder and harder to do. Back east I would have a good excuse, but here..not really. One reason I am hesitating is that California has a way of throwing in a hard freeze just when you think it is over and sadly your plants are suddenly mush. Tomorrow...I AM going anyway. I NEED FLOWERS. If it rains I want it to rain Violets!

7 comments:

  1. Love this post. She is one of my favorites too. I had a Miss Tiggywinkle music box. I gave my collection to my Grandkids when I moved here. I have always loved her watercolor illustrations in her books.
    Have fun shopping today. Raining violets...hmmm, sounds nice to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Maine, it is snowing, again. And more for Sunday. I want flowers, and cook-outs, and yard sales, and to say good-bye to coats, hats, gloves, and boots. I love your lamb, it really caught my eye. My living room has a lamb theme going on...it all started with a favorite print. Later about that I guess. Hope you have a wonderful day, talk to you soon, hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It´s to late to plant springflowering bulbs now, but those that flowers in late summer/autumn is a perfect time to plant now, lillies for instance.

    But can´t You buy pots with flowering spring bulbs like we can now? Crocuses and snoedrops here, but I think that You might have other species than us.
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little lamb and the lovely story! thankyou, for all the nice comments on my table, sounds like you are a lot closer to spring than we are, I would love to be buying flowers and I can't wait! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mona! Awwm this was a sweet little post! That's a precious little lambie pie!
    I want to thank you for all your kind words to me today! I really to appreciate you coming to see me and am enjoying getting to know you!
    You are a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We plant bulbs in Sept. or Oct.

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  7. We should plant our bulbs in Sept. or Oct. too Di, I just plain forgot! No..no...I was too blasted lazy and now I am sorry as all get out!! :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts! Your comments are very important to me.