Wednesday, December 15, 2010

~AND THEN HE WAS GONE...~


It was May 1952 when I met Pat.  I had been walking across the campus headed for the school bus when I saw him.  He was sitting on the edge of low wall holding his books and chatting with a couple of cheerleaders.
I stopped.  I felt something like an electric shock go through me.  I remember I just stopped and stared.  I had never seen a more beautiful boy in my life...and to this day I still  have not.  His hair, his build, the way he carried himself, everything.  I finally continued on to the bus, not looking at them as I passed.  When I finally boarded my bus, I was able to get a dear friend of mine to introduce us because as it turned out they were good friends and buddies. 
My friend whistled and "beautiful boy" walked confidently toward the bus..and the closer he got...the weaker I became.  This is true.  I would never, ever lie to you. 

We were introduced  (I think) and I found out that he had joined the Marine Corp and as soon as he graduated he would be leaving for boot camp.  MCRD San Diego.  He introduced himself to me but..all I can remember is feeling my face going red.  My girlfriends chattered and laughed and I sat and listened and was totally tongue tied.  He promised to write to me as the bus pulled away...I do remember that.
Then he was gone. 

The following week I was sitting on the campus quad eating lunch with my girlfriend, when my friend, Sonny, walked up with Pat and motioned me over to them.  I got up and walked over, feeling my face once again beginning to glow red.  (WHAT on earth was the matter with me!) Sonny said Pat wanted to talk to me.
Pat walked me a way from the others...and asked me if I would go out with him on graduation night. 
He gave me a dazzling smile and said he would call me and I walked back to my friends.  When I turned around...he was gone.

**********
If this is getting too long...please don't let me keep you...these are just my memories because today is...
a difficult day for me.
***********

You see...
We did go out.  We went to a movie.  First kisses are not always perfect but  this one was, after which he just looked at me and said "will you marry me?" and I said "yes!"  I don't remember the rest of the evening really.  I only remember him walking me to the door...
and then he was gone.

Pat entered Boot Camp at MCRD in San Diego, CA. and went on to more training and then he got his orders for Korea.  He was 18 years old. 
It was December 15, 1952 and I decided I would ditch school to be with him for a drive into the mountains.
When no one was looking I dodged out of the library and ran down the hill and up the embankment to where Pat was waiting in the car and off we went.  We drove through the valley, past my home and up into the mountains South of San Diego.  It began to snow.
We stopped at the lodge and went in for a cup of coffee and decided we should be getting home.
As we drove out of the village and began our drive down the mountains...we came to a meadow that was surrounded with pine trees, everything white with snow...Pat coasted to a stop, turned off the motor and we sat in silence watching the snow fall.  For those few precious moments there was no one else in the world.  No fear, no war, just we two and our feelings.  He gave me my present.  The locket you see above.
We drove home and he walked me to the door, kissed me and held me close and whispered I love you and
then he was gone.

43 years later on December 15, 1997 he was gone from me forever...
Today is the anniversary of his death...and I miss him still.  I always will.

38 comments:

  1. Oh Mona, such a beautiful love story. I am so sorry that he is gone. I know he remains forever in your heart. God Bless you on this day. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has made my heart break. You express yourself so well through your writing that I can't help but feel your sense of loss. But your memories are so sweet. I know you will cherish them always.

    Much love and big hugs on this most difficult day, mt friend.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your love story. Your memories will keep you strong. Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you just need some time to feel sad. This is that time. Sending you hugs from across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sweet Mona...

    Pat is only gone from your physical presence my friend. You will carry him always in your heart and you WILL see him again.

    I have the kind of love you have for Pat with Steven. I pray always I go before him because I cannot bear the thought of living on this earth without feeling the warmth of his hand held tightly in mine.

    Today I am thinking of you. I know Pat is missing you just as much as you are missing him.

    Love to you beautiful lady. I adore your tender heart.

    Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading your love story Mona. I'm sure your present husband is a jewel too, understanding today's pain and being there for you. Thank you for sharing this my friend.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Friend,

    Well, I had to wait awhile to write. The tears would not stop and I didn't try to stop them either. Crying is good sometimes.

    Thank you for sharing this heartwarming/breaking story. We are on a journey, and maybe to be where you are today you had to go through that pain. But you know, it's not over - this is the difficult part. Pat is waiting for you and what a day that will be. When we are all together, healthy, beautiful, and young again. Perfect - in every way and living with our Living God.

    God has blessed you with Howard.

    I love you sweet friend, LOVE you bunches.

    Hugs,
    me

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful love story...the first but not the last. He will never be gone completely, he lives on in your heart.

    Few people are lucky enough to have found two loves in their lives, each different, each wonderful.

    You never forget your first love but your heart is big enough for more...

    Have a blessed day of thanksgiving, for those you have known and those you are with now. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful precious memories you have and always will have! Thank you for sharing these very precious memories with us! I have to admit, I did tear up....sending a hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful love story Mona, made more so because it happened to you. Sorry Pat is gone from your life but those memories will be with you forever... and I'm sure he's watching over you.
    Love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang on to those precious memories, I'm sure you still see him in the hearts of your children and the eyes of the grands. From what ya have told in the past and present about Pat, he would want you to be happy and live your life to the max baby!

    I think your doin' a wonderful job my friend.

    God bless you and your precious memories sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful story full of love that you shared with us today; thank you; I think I can feel what you are living.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard it said, when you fall in love you open yourself to love again. I know how hard this day is for you and I'm grateful and thankful your have memories to hold you over until you meet again. He will wait patiently for your reunion and then your heart will be filled again. You are blessed to have found love a second time here on earth. You are blessed and in HIS time, you will be together again. Hugs Ms.M

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mona. What a wonderful story. I am certain there is a place in your heart that will always miss him. Your are fortunate to have the new patient husband of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It´s a beautiful story worth reading many times!

    Take care my friend!
    Christer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sad, this story is so heartbreaking,BUT!,It makes us appreciate our husbands.
    Thanks for sharing, and God bless you and yours.
    Hugs.
    Jo
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mona, You will always have your memories to cherish and they will be special to you as long as you live. Heartache is never easy, and while you may never get over this hurt, other things will fill that empty space a little bit so you can go on. I am sure that your children and the sweet patient husband understand and will help you through this. xo Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a precious love story, Mona. Pat is forever in your mind & heart to love every single day of your life ... how truly blessed you both were to have such a deep precious beautiful love. What a beautiful locket ... tears welling.

    I am saying a prayer for you both today, my friend ...

    Have a lovely winter's day ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs of love, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Mona,

    Your story really touched me. With all your wonderful memories of Pat he will never be gone. How blessed you are for having found love twice.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh MOna, your post made my heart stop. What a beautiful love story. He was gone but you have your wonderful memories forever. And he is really not gone but watching over you, always...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing this beautiful memory. If you are up to it post a picture of Grandpa as well. Maybe one close to age you met. Such a handsome man.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know you won't believe this..I awoke this morning, thinking of the beautiful writings you did on the blog about you and Pat. It was a fleeting thought..I wondered if you would ever write about him again. And....you did.
    I'm holding your hand with my heart, Mona.
    love, bj

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mona, I just can't stop reading this...I just read it to my husband Marshall and it just made us so teary eyed but also very privileged to be able to read about a special moment in your life with Pat.

    Many hugs,
    Deanna :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful post. Memories never die.
    Take care, Mona. Your love is something special.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mona,

    I read your comment and came to visit and wow, I am soooo glad I did. What a sweet, precious, loving story and so well written that I could feel the deep love you both had for each other! I am sorry for your loss and know that holding that locked brings you happy memories which make you smile!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Mona, I'm so glad to see you back writing about your life with Pat...It's really good for you girl..I really know about your love story as you have told me many times when we have spoke on the phone..A BIG old cyber hug to you my Dear friend...Hugs and love Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Mona... What a wonderful tribute to your beloved. Amazing that you had barely met and yet you BOTH knew the other was "THE ONE".... How precious. I'm so sorry that this is still hard for you....I can only imagine. He must have been one wonderful man.

    Huge comforting huggies!
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a precious and touching love story. What a blessing from God to have had the privilege of that kind of love for 43 years. I am so sorry that you had a hard day. No words can comfort when your heart is hurting from grief. Sending you a huge hug!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mona,
    What a touching story.....love never dies, does
    it. Sending you love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. and so the locket is very precious to you. Every time you wear it, Pat is smiling at you. Can you see him now? smiling at you, dear Mona.
    One day, just one day, x
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mona, what a sweet story. You made me cry! Thank you for sharing with us. May every year become less difficult for you but I know you will never forget your first love. God bless you and your family during this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just stopping in this morning to say HI and to wish you a very Merry Christmas.
    hugs, bj

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a wonderful memory. Hope you can feel this hug.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a precious post. It means so much to me when I read of love stories that continue even after one person has passed on. My mother always loved my Dad till the day she died. I believe my hubby will love me the rest of his days....so wonderful in this day of easy ends to relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautifl love story Mona. So glad that you shared it. How blessed you are to have experienced that sort of love with Patrick -- and you prove that Love is, indeed, everlasting. Wishing you a most Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Sweet Mona,

    I must say my heart skipped a beat when I saw that you had posted something about Pat. When you share these precious memories I feel like I am right there with you...and I wish I was to give you a big hug. Love lives on in our hearts and in our memories. Thank you for this.

    Hugs,
    Dena

    ReplyDelete
  38. P.S. Merry Christmas to you! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO much for sharing your thoughts! Your comments are very important to me.